Sunday 3 June 2012

RED VELVET what !!! RED VELVET who !!!



Somebody help me!!!! What is the fuss about red velvet cakes? What is it about this cake that has all the celebrity bakers and shops raving on about this? So for the past 8 months I have been dying to make this cake. I attended a friend’s black tie event where she was testing out the market for her new events and catering business. On the menu was a red velvet cake. I was so excited because I finally got to taste this infamous cake.  To say that I was disappointed was an understatement but this gave me more of a resolve to attempt this cake myself.





So after researching a few recipes, most which came out as a block of red ‘uncooked’ cake. I then came up with my take on the red velvet cake.

Red Velvet Cake:
9 ounce butter
9 ounce castor sugar
4 eggs
2tbsp cocoa
9 ounce self raising flour
1tsp vanilla extract
½  cup of buttermilk
 Dr Oetkar red food colouring (use until he cake mixture is a vibrant red )

Method:
Cream sugar and butter in a bowl until pale in colour.
Add eggs one at a time in between mixes.
Add Vanilla extract and food colouring
Sift flour, cocoa and baking powder and mix
Pour into a cake tin or desired baking sheet.
Bake at 180 degrees Celsius  for 20-30 mins depending on ovens.

Cream Cheese Frosting to cover the cakes

And this was the result:




It was a good cake but I still did not understand what the fuss was about. My family and friends loved it but it left me very baffled.
I love the look of the vibrant red cake but the taste did nothing for my eager taste buds.
So has anyone had any good experiences with Red Velvet cakes? If you have what recipe have you used?
AND can someone PLEASE tell me what the FUSS is all about?
Signed off by a ''Distressed Red Velvet Cake Maker''



No comments:

Post a Comment