Wednesday 18 July 2012

Cake-CATASTROPHE !!!!!

Cake Catastrophe!!!!!
Yes I actually had one of these and I have to say it was not my finest moment.
This will be the first entry without a photo. The cake was that disastrous. Since the excitement of the blog I have received quite a few cake orders. This has been exciting but never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that I would have a cake-catastrophe (I think cake-catastrophe could pass as a tongue twister… mmmm just a thought…)

Ok back to the debacle of the cake. It was my favourite cake, BLACK FOREST GATEAU and what let me down on the 11th hour was the cream. I whipped the cream and I thought a bit of cream cheese frosting won’t affect the texture of the cream. In my head it was a great idea. it would add a bit of tanginess to it. OH BOY was I SOOOO wrong!!!!! The mixture was too runny. I even tried adding some over whipped cream to the mixture. That did not help!!!! Then with 40minutes to layer the cake and deliver it, all HELL was breaking lose. The cream was sliding off the edge and the cherries were too dense for the cream. I tried to salvage the cake by putting it in the freezer for a few minutes. That only gave me enough time to cover the whole cake with the cream. At this point I wanted to cry, scream, and hide from this nightmare in front of me. I had ruined my friend’s graduation cake!!!!!!!


So with my housemate holding the cake and my impeccable driving skills we tried to salvage as much of the cake until we reached our destination. There were screams, squeals and lots of laughter to try and distract us from the debacle that was in front of us. The worst thing was the embarrassment of my graduate friend and her family having to see this shame of a cake. For the first time I was embarrassed and ashamed to own up to making a cake. The waiter took the cake out for everyone to see this shamble of a cake. Yes I still cringe at the thought of it. We had to sit through all the speeches as this cake stared at me in all my humiliation… My saving grace was that despite the appearance, I received reassuring comments that the cake was good and people asked for seconds. That is always a very good sign. For once I ate my own cake just to make sure that it tasted ok, despite the presentation.

Overall it was a great day despite the DRAMA



No comments:

Post a Comment